As a team of benefits strategists, we work hard every day to make sure we’re exceeding client expectations and providing the most innovative and value-generating plan designs and advisory services.
January 10, 2023
Are you stuck in a rut, feeling bored with how you spend your free time? Maybe you’re in the “there’s nothing good on TV” mood. Whichever the case, these could be signs that it’s time to spice up your hobbies and discover new interests! In fact, research suggests that how you spend leisure time matters to your health (think lower stress, greater life satisfaction, and more friends). It can sometimes be difficult to find new things that you could be passionate about, but don’t worry — we have your back!
How to Find a New Hobby 101:
- Has something sparked your interest in the past? If so, try to learn more about it! This could be wheel throwing in a ceramics class, flower arranging, or learning how to ballroom dance. Taking classes can help you learn what you’re passionate about!
- What’s the one thing you’ve always wanted to do? You might have past dreams of rocking out on the guitar or learning another language — finding a new hobby can be your chance to turn those dreams into a reality.
- Consider what you already enjoy. Think about things you like to do for fun. If you enjoy baking, taking a macaron-making class could be fun. If you like working out, try a new activity to get your sweat on such as yoga, barre, martial arts or cycling. Local studios generally offer free or low-cost classes to newcomers.
- Be open to new experiences. Trying something new can be hard, but lots of people stumble upon their hobby by accident. Maybe a friend invites you to go rock climbing, or a friendly neighbor gives you a tomato plant — you might fall in love with these hobbies but would have never thought to try them out yourself.
Everyone enjoys different activities in their spare time. What your friend likes to do may not be your cup of tea — and that’s okay! It can take time to find a new hobby you love, but once you do, keep pursuing and making time for your new passion.
Not sure where to start? Click here to find a random hobby!
- Quiz: What hobby should you try next? (BuzzFeed)
- 101 Hobbies to Start in 2023
- MeetUp: Where interests become friendships
Kayla’s Personal Recommendations
- Sur la table – Cooking class
- SoChatti – Chocolate & wine class
- Roberts Camera – Fundamentals of photography
- Hoopla! Letters – Brush lettering
- Pure Barre – Free barre class
- Fountain Square Clay Center – Ceramics
About the Author
Organizations are in a constant state of change and the Kinetiq Health team supports them every step of the way. A unique formula of people, processes and technologies enables our team to keep an educated eye on the financial and clinical implications of data to move organizations toward improved financial health and employee well-being.