As a team of benefits strategists, we work hard every day to make sure we’re exceeding client expectations and providing the most innovative and value-generating plan designs and advisory services.
Don’t Get Discouraged
The possibility of losing a significant amount of weight can be discouraging. We want to look and feel better quickly with little sacrifice. However, people who lose weight gradually and steadily — about 1 to 2 pounds per week — are most likely to avoid regaining those extra pounds.
The best weight plan includes adopting an ongoing lifestyle through eating smart (e.g., more fruits and vegetables) and staying active. It takes self-confidence and a fresh attitude. For many people, overcoming the emotional challenges of losing weight is essential to reaching weight-loss goals.
Start by strengthening your tenacity to succeed. Below are 5 tips that can help create a positive emotional difference:
- Be ready for change. Ask yourself if now is a good time to commit to new habits that affect your lifestyle.
- Identify specific goals in your diet and activity level that result in burning more calories than you consume. Example: Walk 30 minutes a day, 5 days a week; cut back on added sugars and portions; and track your results.
- Allow time to adapt. Rather than rush to reach unrealistic goals, patience can help you handle the challenges and minor setbacks along the way.
- Stay positive. Even a modest weight loss of 5% to 10% can produce several health benefits, including improvements in blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- See it as a journey, not a final destination. While the overall goal may seem huge and faraway, remember you want sustained change. And always learn from your previous attempts.
Weight loss is the outcome, but it’s the process that leads to success.
Enjoy the recipe of the week:
Romano Baked Tomatoes
Learn how the Apex Population Health team can help you create a culture of wellness at your organization.