According to the American Heart Association, In the United States, someone has a heart attack every 34 seconds. Every 60 seconds, someone in the United States dies from a heart disease-related event. I encourage you all to continue to become more aware of this terrible disease and choose to make small changes in your own life to make positive impact on yourself and those around you.
Reducing your salt intake can help prevent heart disease. One of the best ways to eat a low sodium diet is to ensure your diet is primarily made up of:
- Plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains
- Variety of healthy protein sources including fish and seafood, lean meat and poultry, legumes, nuts and seeds
- Reduced fat dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese)
- Healthy fat choices with nuts, seeds, avocadoes
- Herbs and spices for flavoring, instead of adding salt
- Water as your drink of choice
Today’s recipe of the day is Peanut Butter Oatmeal cookies! You can also click here for some more heart healthy recipes!
Learn how the Apex Population Health team can help you create a culture of wellness at your organization.