On Dec. 2, 2019, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issued Notice 2019-63 to:
- Extend the due date for furnishing forms under Sections 6055 and 6056 for 2019 from Jan. 31, 2020, to March 2, 2020.
- Extend good-faith transition relief from penalties related to 2019 information reporting under Sections 6055 and 6056.
- Provide additional penalty relief related to furnishing 2019 forms to individuals under Section 6055. Under this relief, employers will only have to provide Form 1095-B to covered individuals upon request.
The due date for filing forms with the IRS for 2019 remains Feb. 28, 2020 (March 31, 2020, if filing electronically).
The IRS is encouraging reporting entities to furnish statements as soon as they are able. No request or other documentation is required to take advantage of the extended deadline.
- The deadline for furnishing individual statements under Sections 6055 and 6056 for 2019 has been extended for 31 days.
- Good-faith transition relief from penalties has also been extended for 2019 reporting.
- The due date for filing returns with the IRS for 2019 is not affected.
- March 2, 2020 | Deadline for furnishing 2019 Forms 1095-B and 1095-C to individuals.
- February 28, 2020 | Deadline for 2019 filing with the IRS in paper form.
- March 31, 2020 | Deadline for 2019 filing with the IRS electronically.