The Affordable Care Act (ACA) has made a number of significant changes to group health plans since the law was enacted in 2010. Many of these key reforms became effective in 2014 and 2015, including health plan design changes, increased wellness program incentives and the employer shared responsibility penalties.
Certain changes to some ACA requirements take effect in 2020 for employers sponsoring group health plans, such as increased dollar limits. To prepare for 2020, employers should review upcoming requirements and develop a compliance strategy.
This ACA Overview provides an ACA compliance checklist for 2020. Please contact Apex Benefits for assistance or if you have questions about changes that were required in previous years.
Changes for 2020
The following percentages and dollar amounts have changed for 2020:
- Cost-sharing limits
- Coverage affordability percentages
- Maximum penalties for ACA reporting violations
- Dollar amounts for calculating employer shared responsibility penalties
Expected Changes for 2020
Other updated amounts have not yet been announced, but may change for 2020, including:
- Health flexible spending account (FSA) salary contribution limits
LINKS AND RESOURCES
- S. Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Final Notice of Benefit & Payment Parameters for 2020 established the cost-sharing limits for 2020
- Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Revenue Procedure 2019-29 indexed the affordability contribution percentages in 2020
Source: © 2019 Zywave, Inc.